Sunday, August 26, 2012

Me and My Camera - Opus Gluei Challenge of the fortnight

It is time, once again, for the OPUS GLUEI CHALLENGE.

The loverly Electra, of Wishin' I Knew How To Blog (don't let the name fool you, she KNOWS how to blog) has thrown down a picture perfect gauntlet and is challenging us to use a photo in our project this time around. Use one of your own or one of someone elses photos, but use a photo.

I tossed around all sorts of ideas. But didn't have the time (or motivation) to do any of them. You see we are on vacation and this project was done in the weeks (day before) leading up to vacation. My mind had been on surf and sand and sleeping in...

Enough of my blabbering on, here's my masterpiece:

Kit Credit: Fleetwood by Sahlin Studios - Font: Impact

I used a free digi kit that I got just for signing up for a newsletter. You can sign up HERE. The kit will be delivered via a link in an email. The sign up is on the top of the page. I also got a really cool alphabet set, "In the City", but didn't use that here.

I altered some of the items (the leaves, daisies and the blue mat) to make them a bit darker. I felt I had to because of the darker blues in the hexagons. I also added drop shadows for a bit of depth. And changed the sizes to my liking.

I initially wanted to put pictures of my darling daughters. But I am a very bad mom and have way more pictures of my projects than I do of my off-spring. Sigh. So I used what I had.

Ready to play along with us? Head over HERE and join in on the fun. Or at the very least check out the other wonderful projects. And possibly make some new friends.


Sunday, August 19, 2012

Now pay attention, and you can catch up...

I've been a bit busy this last week.

I made 12 mummies for the Bitty Committee Bitty Halloween Block swap. (These are 3.5 inche squares.) I used cheesecloth and buttons. Can't get much easier. And I think they look great.

I also made trick or treat bags. They are 3-D and will hold a treat. I didn't want to risk anything melting onto the fabric, so I sent them empty. But I did send them in a Halloween-ish card. 

I also made 2 mug rugs for the Scrappy Mug Rug swap. I am only going to send one, but my partner said to play, so I did. They both measure about 7.5 inches x 10 inches. A good size for a snack and a cuppa. Don't you think?

The second one was born of scraps from the first one. I had these little ends leftover and thought it was a waste to just toss them. They are so bright and cheery. So I tried my hand at improv piecing.

The improv piecing proved to be a bit of a challenge for me. I kept wanting things to line up perfectly, and that just doesn't happen in improv. But after just a short period of time, I got the hang of it and now I think I like it.

I also made one other thing. Not this past week, but before that. I want to make sure my partner has received it before I post it. Melissa and I participated in a Mini Me Swap and I am just thrilled with how well she did. She has only sewn one other thing on her machine, and is doing great. (No bias here. Nope, no way. LOL)

Oh, yeah, we also took last Thursday off from work and took the girls to Busch Gardens.

So what have you been up to this past week???

Sunday, August 12, 2012


THE ORDER OF THE OPUS GLUEI has a RED HOT challenge this go around. I have put forth the challenge to use RED and ONE OTHER COLOR.

Since the weather here in the USA has been so hot, my thoughts immediately went to RED.

I had several ideas run through my head. I could have made a RED and WHITE mug rug for a swap I am in, but I made a RED and WHITE one for the mug rug swap last month, so that was out. I could have made a RED and WHITE mini quilt for another swap I am in, but that seemed too close to the mug rug. So I thought I might make an ATC. Or a set of inchies. But then it hit me. I made some Bitty Blocks for a Halloween Bitty swap, so Halloween was on my mind when I ran across this. At first I was thinking I would use a butterfly, but I couldn't find them right away and then I remembered that I have some skeletons in the closet. Who doesn't!?!? No, really. I have these little skeletons in the closet. Just waiting for a Halloween project.

I took a canvas board that had been previously painted green, and coated it with CRIMSON RED. I set it aside to dry.

Then I grabbed my craft glue and added some water because it was really thick and a little dried out. I pulled my black glitter out, and used a small (1/4 inch) paint brush to paint glue onto the skeleton and then sprinkled the BLACK glitter all over. And set it aside to dry too. Then washed the glitter off my hands, and the table, and my cheeks, etc...

Once they were both dry, I used some E6000 to glue the skelton to the canvas board. I attached the skeleton at two points, the back of the head and the back of the pelvic bones. Then I set it aside to dry overnight.

You can see a little bit of the splotchy paint job in the bottom corner here. I didn't plan it, but I think it adds a bit of creepiness to the piece.

Now it's your turn to show us what you can do with RED and ONE OTHER COLOR over at the Order of the OPUS GLUEI.