Sunday, September 26, 2010

Halloween Word Art - Subway/Wordle Style

Unless you've been sticking your head in the sand, or just not blurfing, you have seen all the wonderful Subway art roaming around the web. I LOVE the look of it. I had every intention of painting this 11x14 inch canvas. Which was just hanging out in my Studio - part of one of the many projects abandoned by my darling girls. Then I remembered about Wordle. And a light bulb went off in my head. I could get this project done quickly-ish if I could get Wordle to do the design work for me. As it turns out, I got it done A LOT quicker because I ended up using the Wordle layout - mostly. I changed the position of several of the words to fit what I thought was going to be the right format for the OPUS GLUEI sketch challenge this week. My plans went wonky and I ended up reallly off the mark. Sigh.

Well, there were quite a few more tangent thoughts followed before I got to this:

I used gel medium to adhere the Wordle art that I printed on regular paper. Then took pages from an old German book and ripped them to glue the border.
I wrapped the book pages around the canvas. I think it looks better this way.

I pulled out the Halloween bin and found the right images. I went through several different ones and several different arrangements before this was agreed upon. (Has to pass the darling girls' test.) I inked the edges of the canvas and the torn edges before pop-dotting the images on. And that was that.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for stopping by. Come by anytime. I'm always here.


16 comments:

Sawdust Girl said...

Oh, love it. I guess I've had my head in the sand because I don't know what Wordle is. I guess I'll have to look into it because this is adorable, and easier than hand cutting or painting.

Rosemary said...

This is marvelous, I LOVE IT! Doesn't it feel good to finish a UFO? I love the text and how you've changed it up with Wordle - the effect is very cool! Also, the images are great, glad the girls approved.

I think it is perfect for our challenge, it inspires and it shows that the sketch is adaptable to all sorts of paper projects!

Sian said...

Very clever way to use Wordle Jana. I like it!

Gini said...

My head must be in the sand then or more likey where the sun don't shine ;-) 'cos I've not seen any Subway art nor ever heard of Wordle but now I've looked at the site it's very clever.
Your use of it is fabulous, love your imaginative card, it really pops.
Gini
xx

Lori said...

Yea, I'm with the head in the sand people, too! lol! This turned out fabulous, btw! Love the text paper background, but, then, again, that's so me. Love it!

Sawdust Girl said...

Thanks for linking up this weekend. I featured this today.

Electra said...

This is so cool, Jana! I'v used Wordle, but it's never looked as good as this!

juli (sweetpz) said...

WOW! what a great project! i'd love to try something on canvas, one i'm thinking!
hugs
juli

thanks for visiting my blog =)

Unknown said...

I love it! I'm making something similar but I love the old book pages around yours! I might have to use that idea!! I have also made my own version of subway art! How did you get your Wordle to be totally horizontal?

. said...

Ok, that is absolutely fantastic!!!! I love it!!

Trista said...

Hi, I just found you on T&J and I love what you did with the book pages. However, I do not know what wordle is? Is it the style you used for the project or is it some sort of craft supply?? I think I am going to have to make something similar to this. I love your blog!

sweetpea324 said...

I love it!

Envymycooking said...

Found your blog through links! Love your blog!
If you ever need new recipes or want to be featured..than please come become a follower to see daily updates and email us if you would like us to feature you!!!

Becky B. said...

Discovered your blog through Tresa Black's Halloween hop...LOVE YOUR BLOG and I'm now a follower! The canvas is a brilliant way to use Wordle...thanks for the inspiration! I think I'll make a Christmas Wordle canvas.

kim west said...

features this today!

kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :)

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/5-subway-art-ideas-for-halloween/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/