Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dance, free yourself and Dance

I finally did it. I started Belly Dance lessons last night. I have wanted to explore this exotic dance style for a few years now. I finally got it together enough to go through with it. And am I ever glad I did.

I was, and still am, a bit nervous. I am fat. So I knew this was going to hurt. In more than one way. I threw my self conscienceness out the window and went for it. I was very pleasantly surprised to find only myself and two, that's 2, other women in the class with me. Both claimed to not be any good. But they still had an advantage. The instructor, Ursula, said that she doesn't normally teach this way, but to follow along for the evening. I nodded my head and she began.
She lead the other 2 ladies in a routine that had already been taught. I tried my best to follow along. I shimmied, undulated, sashayed, wiggled, tipped, and stumbled. All in all, I would say I did okay. I enjoyed it greatly. I signed up for the entire session. Mostly because I didn't know that taking, and paying, for it class by class was an option. AND by the time I got to the studio, I was too nervous to think about it. Good thing. I may have only paid for one class and chickened out of going to any others. Now, though, I am commited. (I know, I know, you are all thinking I should be commited anyway.) This is one of the most female things I have ever done. This is one art form that men just cannot do in any serious manner. I felt more female last night than I have in forever. And it came from within. It couldn't have been my outfit. My pink velour sweatpants and over-sized tourist t-shirt. I am in love with this class. It was rather transforming. I have NO prior dance experience. (Tap dance lessons in second grade don't count.) I don't know dance terminology. I can't tell you what I did last night. The above mentioned terms may or may not be the correct terms. I don't care what they are called. I LOVE THEM. I followed the leader. I sucked at it. But I felt so free doing it. I looked in the mirror and saw myself dancing badly, and didn't care. It felt good. I was inexplicably uninhibited. I need to dance more often.
If you have been thinking about taking dance, I highly recommend taking belly dance lessons.
I can hardly wait until next Thursday. I can't wait to dance again. Maybe I won't wait.......

3 comments:

Amy said...

sounds like you're having a lot of fun! good for you!

Rosemary said...

I am so glad you enjoy it - it is a very feminine form of dancing and such good exercise! ENJOY

dianna said...

How fun*!*

Saw some belly dancers today at an arts festival and I was thinking about how much fun that would be!