Sunday, May 22, 2011

PInwheels make pretty mug rugs...

This week's OPUS GLUEI challenge is PINWHEELS. I had a wonderful idea to use some old binder dividers to make some weather proof pinwheels. The dividers are red, blue, green, yellow and orange. PERFECT. Except it didn't happen. Instead I started thinking about the bright colors of the pinwheels and then wandered off and made a mug rug in those bright colors.



I started out with the flamingo fabric. I just HAD to use it. Then I just added some scraps (and made some more). I just started sewing around the bird. Then trimmed it to 5.5x8 inches. It's what my batting measured, and I thought that would be a good size for a mug rug.

What's a mug rug, you ask? Well, it's a jumbo sized coaster. Made for a mug and a donut. Or a roll, or a bagel, or toast.....



There is no coffee in this mug. It was used as a prop. It is too warm for coffee in these parts right now. But I HAD to show you how it will look in the fall. 

I'll have to wait to use it for my mug because the temps are already into the 80's here, so I'll use my mug rug for water (or iced tea) and whatever treat I fancy on any given day.



Sort of looks as though my little friend there is guarding my cookies, doesn't it. I am loving how I can see more of the mug rug through the base of my glass. (Yes, this is the glass I use everyday for water or iced tea.)

So, can you see the pinwheels?

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

I get the inspiration from the pinwheels - yep, I see it! I love this, those colors are WONDERFUL. I feel very summery and happy all of a sudden. Of course, I'm in a nice cool home so I'm not sweltering or anything but still, this makes me feel all tropical!

I love that you made this to demonstrate that the challenge is to inspire and that comes in all sorts of ways! Now, may I get one of these? Also, I won't make you share the cookies, they look delicious and are my favorites but I'm not greedy....much...

Deena said...

slightly jealouse about your weather...we had a glimpse of niceness last week and rain all weekend....yippee...holiday here today, so hopefully it starts to get blue outside! these are great by the way...an excellent idea

Electra said...

I see them, I see them! n This is so pretty, Jana, but please stop talking about your hot weather. ;-)