Sunday, May 29, 2011

OPUS GLUEI #103 - Mail Art

MAIL ART has been around for I don't know how long, and I really don't care. I DO care that I like it. It's so much more fun to receive a decorated package than a plain one. Don't you think so too.

This week OPUS GLUEI is challenging everyone brave enough to make MAIL ART. And we aren't even that strick with our requirements. It's really easy to decorate an envelope. Markers, stickers, decorative tape, sheesh the options are limitless. You can go simple or complicated.


These were all made using 9x12 white envelopes.


First up is this complicated looking one.


This one has a lot of layers. But it was pretty simple. I used templates and a very light hand to trace the shapes with a pencil. Used masking fluid on the pencil lines. Watercolored. Then filled in the address areas with the masking fluid. Stamped. Then rubbed off the masking and erased the pencil lines. The hardest part is waiting for everything to dry before going to the next step.

***



This colorblock envie was made using masking fluid too. I used a ruler and lightly drew straight lines randomly. Then I used acrylic paints to fill in the spaces. After it dried, I painted over the entire thing with an irridescent paint. Let that dry and then rubbed off the masking. The bottle says to use an eraser to rub off the masking. I should have listened. It was a lot of rubbing and now my finger tip is tender to the touch. Of ANYTHING. LOL

***



This simple looking envelope was the most time consuming of the three. I drew the inch squares and the address boxed and then started to tangle. For me the hardest part of tangling is coming up with the designs for each area. It isn't finished, but it could be at this point. I am going to fill in the big white area before I use it.

Hope you give MAIL ART a try this week.

Either way go over to OPUS GLUEI and see what everyone else has done.

8 comments:

Electra said...

Ooo,Ooo! I just sat down at the computer and saw this-these are terrific, Jana! I have to go create some mail art now, bye.

Rosemary said...

Oh my gosh, I love these - I can't pick a favorite - the zentangles are spectacular but the others are AMAZING. Bright, vibrant, delightful! They really came out AWESOME! I love it!

You are inspiring me and now I want to go and tangle some envelopes. Take care of that finger and next time be a good engineer and listen to the directions.

Deena said...

i was thinking of the zentangle myself...until i saw yours and now i need a new idea...i also need an address to send your matchbox(es) to you...just might have to mail them in a fancy envelope now! you can reach me at gdperrier@mts.net

Lori said...

Wow! These are all terrific! That Zentangle one is especially eye catching, but the other two are fabulous as well! And yes, the first one does look complicated...lol.. I'm not sure I should attempt that.

Sian said...

Jana, these are simply stunning.

Kathryn said...

Wow, these are great. I've just made my own envelopes from scrap booking paper or old calendars. Then i use a label for the address. If i get really ambitious, i may give this a try. You did a great job with them. :)

My Need 2 Craft said...

What a GREAT idea. :) I love it!
I found you at Momo's and became your newest follower. If you would like to visit my blog I am at http://myneed2craft.blogspot.com
Happy Crafting!

Mika said...

I've been wanting to try mail art for a while now. Thanks for the great ideas...they are simply beautiful!

http://2011yearinphotos.blogspot.com