Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wanna Tangle?

I was recently invited to try my hand at ZENTANGLE. I have seen it out there, but hadn't tried it. I am NOT a talented drawer, so I figured that I didn't have a chance. Boy was I wrong. If you can draw a line (doesn't even have to be that straight) then you can ZENTANGLE.

ZENTANGLE is really just a fancy word for doodling. It was coined my a couple in the Northeast of the United States. But it's just doodling. Some beautiful art works have emerged in the name of ZENTANGLE. And there is an official tile size of 3.5 inches square. BUT don't let any of that intimidate you. I have made many ATC's (okay only about a half dozen) and a couple of bookmarks and a few inchies AND ONLY ONE official tile. There are MANY sites out there that offer up tutorials, and YOU TUBE has countless video tutorials.

THe challenge on OPUS GLUEI this week is to give ZENTANGLE a try. We aren't asking for a specific project with it, just give it a try. Pick up a pen and get a piece of paper and doodle. 

I made some almost ATC sized cards (I used regular white cardstock) that I really liked. I also had these frames hanging around from a neglected project. SO, I framed my ZENTANGLE ATC's.



Dear hubby even offered to hang them in the family room. He picked the spot. Out in the open even.    

And here are some that I made to send off for a SWAP-BOT Zentangle Newbie ATC Swap. (See, there are other newbies out there.)




And the bookmark I made. I also made another one that I'll show another day.



This is one of those art forms where you don't have to invest a lot of money or time. You can do it pretty much anywhere. The only limitation is yourself. The weekly meetings at work have become much more enjoyable now, and my notes are much prettier too. I have even started trying out differnent colors. I took a red pen to the meeting last week.

8 comments:

Rosemary said...

Can't wait to see your colorful zentangles, love these projects you've made. The framed ones look so good like that - you're making me want to do the same but where to put them????

So much fun to do!

Sian said...

Jana, these are stunning! You make it sound so easy, but these are works of art!

And we would love to have you join in Storytelling Sunday :)

Electra said...

The only limitation is yourself, eh? Well, apparently myself is pretty limitied. This may be my Opus-Waterloo. But I will try.
I can see why he hung them Jana, theyr'e excellent!

1CardCreator said...

These are really awesome!

Lorraine said...

These are wonderful. It's such a relaxing art form, and like you said, very portable.

Anonymous said...

Great tangles! Fab look!

She Who Doodles said...

love your zen tangles. i've been trying them also. i use my ratty old journal i keep in the car, grab a coffee and doodle out my lunch break. great take a long project.

Gini said...

Fabulous zentangles Jana and fabulous husband for hanging the moon for you!
Gini
xx