Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wild Wednesday

Every so often, I'll share food with you.
Favorites that I cook for my family. Often.

This recipe is an altered one from one of my favorite restaurants ever, Jennie Low's in Mill Valley, California. I used to live in Mill Valley and loved to eat there. Not only was everything delicious but her decor was purple. Everything, even the phone, was purple. She even had a purple briefcase. How cool is that? She no longer has a restaurant in Mill Valley, but you can find her in Novato and Petaluma. If you get the chance, eat there. You won't be disappointed.
.
This recipe is adapted from her cookbook, "Chopsticks, Cleaver, and Wok". For the original recipe checkout her book. I have made substitutions based on what my family perfers and what I had/have on hand.
.
.
.
.




Main Ingredients:
1 pound chicken breast, cut into small chunks 1" x 1" - ish
1 pound green beans, cut into 1 1/2 to 2" pieces (I prefer asparagus, but DH won't eat them)
3 T Black bean Chili sauce with garlic
2 t oil
1/4 t salt
1/2 t sugar
1 cup chicken broth

Seasoning:
1 t salt
1 t sugar
1 t soy sauce
2 t oyster sauce
1 T cornstarch

Thickener:
2 t cornstarch mixed well with 1 1/2 T cold water

Place chicken and seasoning in mixing bowl. Mix well. And set aside.

Heat 1 t oil in non-stick skillet on med-high heat. Once heated, add chicken and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Remove from pan.

Add the other t oil and green beans. Cook until crisp tender. Add Black Bean sauce and stir together.

Return chicken to pan. Add chicken broth, salt and sugar. Cover and cook for 3 minutes..

Stir in thickener. Cook for 1 minute. Serve over steamed rice.


********************

This is one of the ONLY Chinese dishes my husband will eat. I am not sure if it is because it tastes so darned good, or because that's all I serve that day. But it IS ONE OF THE BEST dishes. It's also easy and quick.

ENJOY, and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Electra said...

Man o man, that looks good!

Rosemary said...

Yummy, yummy yummy.....now I'm jonesing for this. Sounds delicious and not too difficult to make!