Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

What better way to bring in the New Year than with a challenge!!!

Opus Gluei is having their #121 challenge: Out with the old and in with the new.

My project of choice is a January 2012 calendar page made with old materials.




I made the backgrounds on the papers. I used two sheets out of my Canson Mixed Media 9x12 art journal. On the background itself, I applied some pink and blue acrylic paint. Then used a sponge to dot with some lighter pink paint mixed with a shimmery agent. I then used some glimmer mists in pink and grey. And a bit of another brand (whose name escapes me at the moment) of blue misty paint and just spritzed a little on top of that.

The paper I used for the days is some of the same grey, blue and pink just spritzed on the plain white sheet. I used another sheet that I ripped out for a bit of a stencil.

I waited for it all to dry. And waited. And waited. I am not the most patient of people. I know, I know, I could have pulled out my heat gun, but I didn't.

"JANUARY" are some stickers that I have had for I don't know how long. They are MY LITTLE SHOE BOX in Ocean color. I used a matte gel medium to adhere the 1.25 inch square-ish blocks to the background. Then used paint pens to highlight the boxes and draw the snowflakes. I decided to hand number the days and the year.

I will probably not cut the top off. I kinda like it.

This was inspired by the wonderful Calendars you can see HERE. Mine is not nearly as decorated as some of them. I LOVE the ones that have all the pictures. BUT, I had to face the fact that this is what I have time for right now. I have WAY too many other projects that I want to spend time on. SO, this is my JANUARY. There may or may not be a FEBRUARY. We'll just have to wait and see....

5 comments:

Electra said...

I love this. The colours. The shiny. (call Gini!) The top. It's so you.
Happy New Year, girlfriend!

Tyggereye said...

Cool I'm glad you are doing them. Thats great. I'll probably do it next year again, maybe. It was fun to do for two years. I'm excited to see yours done now. You can pick up the torch. A few hints on days you have no idea what to put or just forgot what was going on.. Add pics of food you currently like, movies you watch, books you read, clothes or items you'd like or had just purchased, or just a really pretty small picture of art you really like that you found recently. Its fun. You can find the pics on the web and just print them out as 1x1 or whatnot. Good luck! :)

Deena said...

I love the top all jagged like that...you have to leave it....the colours and textured effect they leave is wonderful..can't wait to see the one for February! Hope your 2012 is a spectacular one for you and your family, Jana....

Kristen H said...

This is too cool! I love it! It would make an awesome journal too, a great place to jot down your favorite thing of the day!

Happy New Year, Jana and family!

Gini said...

Oh very lovely Jana, that is such a good idea, and the project is getting bigger and bigger in the UK every year!
Happy New Year to you, I look forward to another year getting gluey with you!

Wishing you always...
Walls for the wind,
A roof for the rain
and tea beside the fire.
Laughter to cheer you,
Those you love near you,
And all that your heart may desire.

Gini
xx